Asee peer logo

Integration Of Renewable Energy In The Electrical Engineering Curriculum

Download Paper |

Conference

2008 Annual Conference & Exposition

Location

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Publication Date

June 22, 2008

Start Date

June 22, 2008

End Date

June 25, 2008

ISSN

2153-5965

Conference Session

Sustainable Energy Issues in Education

Tagged Division

Energy Conversion and Conservation

Page Count

13

Page Numbers

13.777.1 - 13.777.13

Permanent URL

https://peer.asee.org/3105

Download Count

61

Request a correction

Paper Authors

author page

lana El Chaar Petroleum Institute

Download Paper |

Abstract
NOTE: The first page of text has been automatically extracted and included below in lieu of an abstract

Integration of Renewable Energy in Electrical Engineering Curriculum

Abstract Climate change, global warming and increasing in oil price issues have been the major concerns of every human being lately. Conventional sources of energy such as coal, oil, and natural gas will remain part of our energy sources for decades to come. The negative effect of such sources is very clear, especially on air quality. In addition, these sources are non sustainable. Thus, the idea of establishing a safe and efficient environment for new generations has led to the search for alternative energy sources. These sources should not only have zero emission but also be lasting and non-depletable.

Sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass have recently been identified as renewable energy. The idea now is to see how these sources can be deployed in an efficient manner. For this, expertise in this field must be provided. The new generation must be educated and knowledgeable to elevate expertise in this field. This is accomplished by exposing the young generations (if not at the high school level, at the college level), to such sources and the related technologies. Such learning experiences will raise the awareness of the environment in our young generation as well as develop their thinking and analytical skills in finding solutions to problems raised by such issues. This paper describes the experience of introducing renewable energy into the curriculum of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the steps taken to enhance the learning process. It also highlights the impact of this experience on the students with respect to the environment and the community. Such experience is an example that can be followed in order to promote renewable energy technologies and to develop expertise in this field.

I. Introduction

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is an important oil producer with the fifth largest proven oil reserves in the Middle East. In 2004, natural gas supplied 64 percent of the country’s total energy consumption, and oil supplied the remaining 36 percent. However, approximately 97 percent of the UAE’s electricity production is fueled by natural gas, with the remaining three percent produced by diesel generation and steam turbines.

Fig. 1 Total energy consumption in the United Arab Emirates in 20041

El Chaar, L. (2008, June), Integration Of Renewable Energy In The Electrical Engineering Curriculum Paper presented at 2008 Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. https://peer.asee.org/3105

ASEE holds the copyright on this document. It may be read by the public free of charge. Authors may archive their work on personal websites or in institutional repositories with the following citation: © 2008 American Society for Engineering Education. Other scholars may excerpt or quote from these materials with the same citation. When excerpting or quoting from Conference Proceedings, authors should, in addition to noting the ASEE copyright, list all the original authors and their institutions and name the host city of the conference. - Last updated April 1, 2015