July 26, 2021
July 26, 2021
July 19, 2022
Today, a Google search of the Internet of Things (IoT) routinely yields upwards of 5 billion hits. Even If the average person doesn’t know what the IoT entails, they have probably heard this newly coined term at some point during recent times. Likewise, a Google search of wireless technology commonly yields over a billion hits. The relationship – most of the IoT applications recently implemented and those conceived/planned for future deployment depend upon wireless connectivity. Predictions by IoT Analytics are that less than 10% of future IoT apps will be of the wired variety! The average technology savvy individual would probably believe that the other 90% would be provided wirelessly by either cellular or Wi-Fi technology. They would most likely be mistaken! IoT applications are planned for almost all sectors of the economy. However, these various application sectors bring with them their own wireless connectivity challenges. Advanced manufacturing touts Industry 4.0 or the industrial IoT (IIoT) but the typical factory floor presents an extremely harsh environment for present day wireless systems. e-healthcare is the future of medicine in both clinical and home settings but interference from other IT oriented data services is extremely undesirable. The automobile industry is rapidly introducing new vehicle safety features that are based on cyber-physical systems with the ultimate goal of vehicle-to-everything (V2X) wireless communications to achieve the most reliable accident avoidance systems. However, the congested highway environment with bumper-to-bumper traffic and a need for extremely low-latency for this type of application brings complexities that present-day wireless systems cannot deal with. Other applications with geographically dispersed extremely low power sensors present further problems. Presently, one is bombarded with TV ads from the major cellular providers about 5G smart phone service. Indeed, 5G was purposely designed to facilitate machine-to-machine wireless communications. However, it will not be until Release 16 and 17 (add-ons that deal specifically with IoT and new frequency allocations) of the 5G standards are issued in the early years of this decade that this enabling technology will be available. Wi-Fi, a technology that we all take for granted for accessing the Internet, has recently started a new IEEE 802.11 task group (11bd) to upgrade a twenty-year-old standard, 802.11p, that has never been used for vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications. However, this initiative is not expected to be complete until 2022 at the earliest. Meanwhile, there has been a proliferation of IoT driven wireless technologies: Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) implemented with LoRa, MIOTY, MyThings, SigFox, NB-IoT, etc., ZigBee and other Mesh protocols, RFID, and Bluetooth and BLE are all players for different IoT application areas. These other wireless technologies will not be covered by main stream IT programs of study since they are typically used to implement operational technology (OT) systems. This paper will attempt to answer the following: At the two-year college level, how should these wireless technologies be taught, to what level, and by whom?
Mullett, G. J. (2021, July), The Wild World of Wireless in the 2020s – What do we Need to be Teaching? Paper presented at 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access, Virtual Conference. https://peer.asee.org/37906
ASEE holds the copyright on this document. It may be read by the public free of charge. Authors may archive their work on personal websites or in institutional repositories with the following citation: © 2021 American Society for Engineering Education. Other scholars may excerpt or quote from these materials with the same citation. When excerpting or quoting from Conference Proceedings, authors should, in addition to noting the ASEE copyright, list all the original authors and their institutions and name the host city of the conference. - Last updated April 1, 2015