June 23, 2013
June 23, 2013
June 26, 2013
NSF Grantees Poster Session
23.904.1 - 23.904.11
Micro-patterned Polypropylene Films: Reduced Sliding Friction Byron Villacorta and Amod A. Ogale*, Chemical Engineering and Center for Advanced Engineering Fibers and Films (CAEFF), Clemson University, Clemson Sc 29634 Sarah Hulseman, Andrew Cannon, and Ralph Hulseman, Hoowaki LLC, 511 Westinghouse Road, Pendleton, SC 29670 *Corresponding author: Prof. Amod Ogale, firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-656-5483 AbstractThere are many applications of polymeric films where low sliding friction surfaces are required,e.g., high speed packaging equipment and low-friction tape wraps. Typical methods of reducingthe apparent sliding friction of polymeric surfaces are: (a) the use of liquid lubricants such assilicone oil or erucamide, (b) powdered solid lubricants such micro-sized starch or talc and (c)fluoropolymers [1, 2, 3]. Studies on modifying the coefficient of friction (COF) by addingdifferent chemical entities have been previously reported [1, 2]. Such chemical moieties arepartially transferred from the film to other surfaces upon contact, and may contaminate thosesurfaces. Therefore, in this study, the sliding friction of micro-textured isotactic polypropylenefilms, extruded from micro-patterned dies was assessed. We investigated two micro-patternedextrusion dies, one with rectangular texture and the other with a trapezoidal one. The effect ofthe resulting film texture on the apparent film-on-film COF and film-on-metal COF wasevaluated.The films were extruded at 220°C in custom-built cast-film line consisting of a 25-mm singlescrew extruder. The ASTM D-1894 Standard Test Method for Static and Kinetic Coefficients ofFriction of Plastic Film and Sheeting (assembly C) was used for all COF measurements on 25mm wide films with the following exceptions: (a) a 19-mm stainless steel sled was used with astandard roughness of 400 grit, and (b) a cross-head speed of 50 mm/min was used to pull thesleds.For the film-on-metal tests, the kinetic COF of non-textured films was measured to be0.348±0.023. The textured films displayed a COF of 0.234±0.013 and 0.218±0.011 for therectangular and trapezoidal textures, respectively. Thus, a reduction in COF of about 35% wasobserved in textured films as compared to the non-textured films. For film-on-film experiments,the non-textured films possessed a kinetic COF of 0.186±0.013. The films obtained from therectangular patterned-die possessed a COF of 0.163±.012, and showed a reduction in COF ofabout 12% in the machine direction. Films obtained from the trapezoidal patterned-die displayeda greater reduction of 28% (COF = 0.134±.012). On the other hand, the COF of the combinationof non-textured films on rectangular textured films (COF = 0.113±0.004) in the machinedirection configuration had a more significant reduction in friction of about 40%. These resultsindicate that micro-textured polypropylene films might be effectively used in potentialapplications where low-sliding and clean surfaces are required.Acknowledgment: This work was primarily supported by National Science Foundation under AwardEEC‐1128481 and made use of ERC Shared Facilities supported by the National Science Foundationunder Award Number EEC-9731680 References 1. Zhang, Z-Z.; Xue, Q-J.; Liu, W-M.; Shen, W-C; Friction and Wear Behaviors of Several Polymers Under Oil-Lubricated Conditions. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 1998, 68, 2175–2182. 2. Samyn, P.; Tuzolana, T.M.; Effect of test scale on the friction properties of pure and internal-lubricated cast polyamides at running-in. Polym. Text., 2007, 26, 660-675. 3. Kawaguchi, M.;Yagi, K.; Kato, T.; An effect of dewetting of lubricated surfaces on friction and wear properties. J. Appl. Phys., 2005, 97, 10P311.
Ogale, A. A., & Hulseman, S. K., & Cannon, A. H., & Villacorta, B. S., & Hulseman, R. A. (2013, June), Micro-patterned Polypropylene Films: Reduced Sliding Friction Paper presented at 2013 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Atlanta, Georgia. https://peer.asee.org/22289
ASEE holds the copyright on this document. It may be read by the public free of charge. Authors may archive their work on personal websites or in institutional repositories with the following citation: © 2013 American Society for Engineering Education. Other scholars may excerpt or quote from these materials with the same citation. When excerpting or quoting from Conference Proceedings, authors should, in addition to noting the ASEE copyright, list all the original authors and their institutions and name the host city of the conference. - Last updated April 1, 2015